I found a lump on the right side of Hans’ lower jaw last week. The lump feels slightly bigger than a pea.
Suspecting an abscess, Hans was brought to the vet on Sunday. This time, we went to a different vet and this vet has actually performed incisor extraction before.
When the vet squeezed the lump, pus came out from around Hans’ lower incisors.. so it could be a tooth root abscess. I just hope the abscess hasn’t compromised the jaw bone.
Long story short, Hans is currently on an 8-day antibiotics course (oral Baytril) and the vet suggested for the incisors to be removed this coming Sunday/ Monday, after we complete the antibiotics course.
We’ve decided to go ahead with the surgery. I’ve always wanted to deal with Hans’ malocclusion by extracting the incisors, instead of subjecting him to monthly teeth-clipping sessions at the vet. His misaligned incisors serve no purpose, he’s not able to pick food up with those crooked teeth and rabbits learn quickly to use their prehensile lips for picking food up after having their incisors removed. Also, it is likely that the abscess is a result of the condition of his teeth.. so if we don’t remove his incisors, abscesses will be a recurring issue.
I do have a couple of concerns for Hans’ surgery. The first being that the antibiotics will not eliminate the abscess completely.. I’m a little worried that the infection from the abscess will spread when the abscess is opened up during surgery.
The other thing is that the vet does not have x-ray facilities at her clinic yet. So on the day of the surgery, we need to send Hans to another clinic for the x-ray then travel back to the vet’s clinic, which is a journey of about 20-30 minutes (depending on the traffic situation). He has to be sedated for the x-ray and he has to be sedated again for the surgery. I’m afraid that will create extra stress on his little body. But the x-ray is a must, in order for the vet to know the position of Hans’ teeth and the location & extent of the abscess.
I’m praying very hard for the best. It’s going to be a long procedure as the vet needs to loosen each tooth individually. Altogether, there are 6 teeth (2 incisors + 2 peg teeth on the upper jaw, and 2 incisors on the lower jaw).
I’m currently waiting for a call from the vet, confirming the day of the surgery. Please keep Hans in mind this weekend. I want him to make it through the surgery just as badly as Bailey does. I really hope everything goes smoothly.
Update: Hans’ surgery is scheduled for Monday. The vet has offered to perform the surgery at the clinic where Hans will be getting the x-rays done, which is great 😀